Removing The Darkness Of Debt
So You Can Face A Brighter Future

Do You Know If Your Consumer Report Is Accurate?

The FCRA requires that credit reporting agencies (CRAs) utilize reasonable procedures to ensure the maximum possible accuracy of the information in a consumer report. This includes not only information that is patently incorrect, but also information that is out of date, misleading or incomplete. Inaccuracies can take the form of showing an incorrect payment history, balance or payment status; or attributing an account to the wrong person.

As the founding attorney of The Law Office of Andrew M. Doktofsky, P.C., I bring experience and knowledge to my client’s legal concerns regarding their crediting reports. This knowledge can help you protect your rights.

How To Dispute Information On A Credit Report

A dispute of information on a credit report should be made in writing and mailed to the credit reporting agency. Making a written dispute is preferable to using the internet forms provided by the national CRAs, which limit the information that the consumer can provide to show that the report is inaccurate.

The written dispute should include the consumer’s name, address, date of birth and social security number; a description of the specific item of information that is being disputed; and a copy of the report showing the inaccurate item. The dispute must provide the reason why the consumer contends that the information is inaccurate and should include copies of documents supporting the consumer’s dispute. Finally, the dispute should request that the CRA delete or correct the information.

The dispute should be mailed to all CRAs that are reporting the inaccurate information. Addresses for the three national CRAs, to which disputes can be mailed, are as follows. However, you should confirm the correct address, as they are subject to change.

P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, Georgia 30374

P.O. Box 4000
701 Experian Parkway
Allen, Texas 75013

TransUnion Consumer Solutions
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, Pennsylvania 19022-2000

Reporting Debts Discharged In Bankruptcy

Failure of a CRA to show an account as having been discharged in bankruptcy is a common problem. Accounts that continue to be reported as past due on a credit report, instead of showing as discharged, will hinder the consumer’s fresh start after bankruptcy.

In addition to violating the FCRA, reporting a discharged debt as past due may also violate the discharge injunction under the Bankruptcy Code. Consumers in this situation may be able to make an application to the Bankruptcy Court to reopen their bankruptcy case, in order to enforce the bankruptcy discharge.

A Note About Credit Repair Organizations

Beware of claims by credit repair organizations that they can remove negative information from your credit report. Information that is accurately reported, and which is not obsolete, cannot be legitimately removed from a credit report. In addition, under the FCRA, CRAs can refuse to investigate disputes that do not come directly from the consumer.

Need Additional Guidance? Contact The Law Office of Andrew M. Doktofsky Today.

To take advantage of a free consultation about how to dispute information on your credit report, contact me, attorney Andrew Doktofsky, at The Law Office of Andrew M. Doktofsky, P.C. You can reach out online or call my office at 631-812-7712.

This is a debt relief agency. I help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.