Dedicated Bankruptcy Lawyer Aids Nassau and Suffolk Clients
Long Island attorney advises families and businesses struggling with debt
If you have decided to file for bankruptcy or have questions about how this type of protection might help you, it’s important to consult with a seasoned bankruptcy attorney who can offer you the guidance you need. At The Law Office of Andrew M. Doktofsky, P.C. in Huntington, I have 19 years of experience providing knowledgeable counsel to clients throughout Long Island. My firm gives people and companies strong support in all types of bankruptcy matters. Whether you require a Chapter 7 liquidation to discharge your debts or just need a pause from creditor harassment while you reach a reasonable debt repayment plan under Chapter 13, I will deliver the representation you need to achieve your objectives.
Huntington law firm works to discharge debts through Chapter 7 bankruptcy
A Chapter 7 bankruptcy is unquestionably the fastest, most decisive method of relieving people of the weight of debt. My firm guides clients in Nassau and Suffolk counties through each step of the procedure, including:
- Eligibility — First, I review your situation to see if you are able to obtain this type of protection based on factors such as your assets, income and bankruptcy history.
- Automatic stay — Once you file for bankruptcy, an automatic stay immediately takes effect. That means creditors can no longer harass you, bring lawsuits or contact you to collect what you owe them.
- Creditors’ meeting — Usually the only time you will have to go to court is for a meeting arranged by the trustee to learn about your situation and answer any creditor concerns.
- Liquidation and dissolving debt — After nonexempt assets are sold to help pay your creditors, most of your debt obligations are canceled and you can make a new start.
Starting with a free initial consultation, I will help you anticipate what you can expect during the Chapter 7 bankruptcy process, which typically takes around three months to complete.
Advocate assists with the creation of fair Chapter 13 repayment plans
In some instances, people who are earning income just cannot keep up with their debt obligations. These problems often stem from a one-time challenge such as a job loss, divorce or medical crisis. For these situations, Chapter 13 bankruptcy stops creditor harassment and enables individuals to establish a fair repayment plan authorized by the court. My firm works diligently to outline a payment schedule lasting between three and five years. With terms that are tailored to your needs and protection from debt collection actions, you should be able to repay or discharge most of what you owe.
Accomplished adviser helps debtors tackle their financial challenges
Having practiced bankruptcy law for nearly 20 years, I know the relevant law and understand how it applies to different types of clients:
- Individuals — No two situations are the same. I work closely with people and families to devise a debt-relief solution that addresses their unique needs.
- Business owners — Small business owners frequently rely on personal assets to keep their operation afloat. I assist Long Island clients with commercial bankruptcies as well as individual proceedings that are rooted in business troubles.
- Divorcing spouses — Bankruptcy and divorce are often intertwined. Money problems and the stress associated with unmanageable debt can lead to marital discord and eventually divorce. Conversely, divorce itself can be a cause of bankruptcy when spouses are left with large debts and legal fees. My firm helps men and women rebuild a strong financial foundation for the next chapter in their lives.
For any type of bankruptcy, I will personally handle every legal task, from the initial consultation to the meeting with the trustee.
Contact a knowledgeable Long Island bankruptcy lawyer for a free initial consultation
The Law Office of Andrew M. Doktofsky, P.C. represents Long Island clients in a full range of bankruptcy and debt relief matters. Please call 631-812-7020 or contact me online to schedule a free initial consultation at my Huntington office.